View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Old182

Default Re: Introducing myself

Welcome, and happy retirement! Based on what you wrote, perhaps a sedan would be preferrable to an open car because they tend to stay warmer and the grandkids can be inside. It's your choice as to the year and whether you like Tudors, Fordors, or one of the more special models (others will give you much more detail, I'm sure). I believe most had vacuum wipers, some had electric, and commercials had hand-operated. It's been my experience that a healthy coat of RainX will do a much better job of removing water from the windshield than any of the wipers . Cabin heating was accomplished with a special exhaust manifold that had a series of fins cast into the top, over which a cast iron "tube" was bolted. This took fan air, heated it as it passed over the manifold and routed it inside through a flapper door in the firewall that was adjustable (sort of). Naturally, any fumes, dirt, bugs, etc. came in with the hot air. You will find that, although these are among the simplest cars on the planet, their quirks and personalities at times can try the best of minds. But once problems are identified, they are generally "simple" fixes. This forum will become one of the best sources of information and knowledge you'll find anywhere. Good luck!
Old182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)