View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Junknshit
Banned

Default Re: Whitewall Shaving?

It can be done, and I do have a portable machine for doing it and used to do a lot of it, plus put whitewalls on blackwalls for car dealers. Also redline tires.

Most whitewalls have an inlay in the tire, but some have it vulcanized on after. You can widen the first, but not the second. If it is a bias tire you will probably be OK, but if it is a radial tire, you want to check it close. Some of the cheaper radials have these crazy dips in the sidewall running from rim towards tread. If that is the case, don't even try it. Some tires have the inlay start at the bead and go out some start about 1/2" from the rim and go out. You must know where this inlay starts and ends before you start because you MUST leave about 3/8ths inch of white under the black or your whitewall will start to come apart and look like a poorly installed port-o-wall. White inlays can also be a continuous circle and some can have an overlap joint, and some of them are of varied thickness. I have even cut whites out of some raised white letter tires, some you can't. No matter what you use, you can end up with a nice looking whitewall and you can end up with a junk tire just as easy, or maybe easier. Make sure the guy knows what he is doing.

Don't even ask me how I know this............
Junknshit is offline   Reply With Quote