View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #16
rotorwrench

Default Re: Will rings stay seated if piston removed

Most 4 stroke engines have no pins to hold the rings, at least none that I have ever overhauled. We here in the USA don't always choose words that describe what happen visually but we are what we are. The folks in the Uk use a term called "bedding in" and it refers to the whole engine more than just one specific item. We use break in but nobody wants any thing to break in there. It all boils down to how parts that move against each other wear in a manner that provides the best possible fit for those parts.

If I was taking the time to remove a piston, I wouldn't reinstall worn rings. Now if they are near new, why waste a part that hasn't even bedded in completely yet. It's not a lot more effort to ream the ridge & hone out a bore then install some new rings but thats just my own preference. A lot depends on how much wear has taken place in the bore since the last overhaul. If the wear is minimal then a break of the glaze and some new rings will insure a decent compression. There is some method to the madness if your only doing one slug versus all eight. Ya'll can do however it pleases you if your experience is good with it.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote