Thread: Water pump
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2024, 07:17 PM   #8
Rob Doe

Default Re: Water pump

I have a stock water pump. I ran it stock for a few thousand miles, then bought the modified rear portion, the brass part with a modern seal for the rear. It is still brass for the bearing and the rear fitting takes grease. I add one or two capfuls at a time. The front uses the original roller bearing type and requires a squirt at 500 miles.

I was able to use a ~5 1/2" bolt and some washers and a nut to push out the stock brass insert and my 8" vice was just big enough to press the new sealed unit in. The original packing and gland nut remains but is not tightened. It will be the backup to get me home when the seal fails.

The car cam with and the vendors have sold pumps that require no grease front or rear. Modern sealed bearings are installed in both places. The zerks are still on the pump, but the passages are not there. It looks original to the eye.

The one on our coupe when we got it 3 years ago was a very expensive one. And the individual that made it has retired and the web site is gone. It has a double row / two sealed bearings at the front. They were pressed onto the shaft and thus there was no issue with the for and aft movement of the impeller. It made it 11000 miles and failed. It was a nice outfit.

I learned from the forums and then reading all the info on Snyder's and Bratton's for their pumps.