View Single Post
Old 04-21-2024, 04:30 PM   #9
bobbader

Default Re: Distributor Cap Advance Lever Slot

P.S. You bring up a good point. My take is that, if you have a distributor body with the wrong dimension width of the slot, when you go to set the steering column tube, you may get the distributor plate lever to hit both stops ............ BUT ............ you won't get full travel at the spark lever at the steering wheel. So, to set the timing 100% correctly, the distributor plate lever has to hit both stops AND the spark lever at the steering wheel has to have full travel from fully retarded position (all the way up) or fully advanced (all the way down).

FYI, I've been in the Model A parts business for 45 years and I don't believe I've seen a distributor cap body where the slot is 3/4 the size of the slot in an original cap. Not saying it's not possible ....... lots of different manufacturers over the years. I now sock distributor bodies from 2 available manufacturers and both have the correct dimension slot. My reason for being adamant about not filing the slot is that the distributor plate lever not touching one of the two stops in the slot does not indicate that the width of the slot is wrong. It usually means the steering column tube is mis-aligned.
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote