Thread: Engine Number
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2024, 10:20 PM   #16
JayJay

Default Re: Engine Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in San Antonio View Post
How does the Burtz block folks do it? What number do those engines come with ?
I read that changing a VIN is a felony. I don’t know if that would be interpreted as extending to the engine number, though. The Wretched Roadster is currently getting a replacement block and I’m curious what the engine rebuilder will do about the serial number.
The way I look at it, the owner is stamping a piece of metal. How that is interpreted is a different issue. It’s no different than adding a stamped number on the underside of a frame member, where it would be visible. If that number happens to match the number on the title, so much the better. You are not changing a VIN, you are adding a number where it is visible.

I would suggest that you ask the rebuilder to grind off the old number (which is simply that - an embossed number on a metal part) and restamp another number. That the number happens to appear on your title isn’t changing anything. If you are concerned about it you can find some good stamps at restostamps.com. I think I’d avoid claiming that as an original, numbers-matching engine, though.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote