Thread: Engine Number
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2024, 06:02 PM   #6
ModelA29

Default Re: Engine Number

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Brown View Post
There's something that California still has going for it, if you need the "vin" number verification they want to see the frame number. They could care less about any numbers on the engine
Which is 100% lame since the frame number is hidden when the body is on (how would they check it on a car they stopped if you reported your car stolen). CA won't use the engine number and puts one of their assigned ID tags on. They won't even add your engine number to the space on the title for "engine number" since they say it's for motorcycles only. CHP won't verify an incomplete car meaning no body no verification. DMV and CHP are stymied when anything shows up pre 68 when the feds required standardized VINs and locations. I talked to a guy last week who had hired a service to get his Model A registered. He said he was having problems because a 1960s VW was registered with the same VIN. Dumb runs deep in CA........

I had a Studebaker that had been registered by the engine number when new in the 50s. That engine was long gone. Fortunately the Studebaker records still exist showing which engine went in which body. I was able to take a copy of the card to DMV and they changed the VIN from what had been on the engine to the body number.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vin.jpg (51.2 KB, 26 views)
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote