View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 09:45 PM   #23
GB SISSON

Default Re: NOS 8RT camshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Test it in a block with a cam follower - this will give the exact motion the valve will get. The cams that I got are all soft so you could regrind the wrong base circle very easily. I just reground all 16 lobes for my supercharged engine to get a bit more valve acceleration and more lift.
I don't think I will be grinding this cam. I do think I have enough tools and machinery here to make a fixture to touch up the bottom of that one lobe if I had some instructions , but it would be quite scary. Out of curiosity, should all the cam lobes measure the same if they were mic'd across the long dimension? I understand that intake and exhaust could differ. First I will test the lift in a block. And what is a cam follower? I'm picturing a lifter with a slot in it for a small wheel. If so, what keeps it from turning sideways?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote