View Single Post
Old 04-04-2024, 05:10 PM   #14
GB SISSON

Default Re: Back end of a T-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Thats a big hit n miss engine there GB, what is it?
That, my friend is my 1912 8hp Stover gas engine. It was given to me 36 years ago by an island family. Head had been pulled years earlier and was long gone, Every moving part was completely seized. Other than that it was remarlably intact and complete. I made a pattern for a new head on my wood lathe from pictures in an old book. Most of it was obvious because of what was still there. Head studs told head thickness, push rod and rocker arm showed dimensions and placement of the tower for the rocker, placement of valves etc. The intake valve has no rocker as it is just atmospheric with a light spring. Vacuum pulls it open on intake stroke. I started with freeing the 6" piston. I filled the water hopper with charcoal briquets, siliconed a 6" stove pipe elbow into the bore and filled it to the top with diesel fuel. All that was needed was a BFH for some motivation. Finding nothing suitable at hand I decided to loosen the two 5/8 bolts on the big end of the connecting rod til there was about a 3/4" gap. Instead of a poured bearing this rod has a beautifully machined bronze 'boxing'. The flywheels together weigh over 1000 lbs and made short work of freeing the piston. I honed and ordered some rings from Hit n Miss Enterprises in Ohio. Well, here I go on another sideways ramble. The engine has been stored for the last 12 years at the show grounds in Lynden and we haul it out and run it every August at ther big show. Storage situation changed last year so I brought it home and kept it at a buddy's giant shop until last week when I finished a ten day cleanup and organizing of my shop. Now I have a nice spot for it with the exhaust out through a hole in the wall. If you'd likme to see it run I have a link to a video some show-goer took of it and posted on youtube. I had no idea it was on youtube until I stumbled onto this video one day.
Well I just used up my afternoon coffee break talking about the engine instead of the adapter plate I'm making for a hogshead/T-5. I am using the same centering trick that I used on my NP 435 project. In researching home built plates I came across a great thread on the barn from maybe 2014, in which J Seerey carefully explains why the method I thought I discovered last month is so, in his words 'foolproof'. Now I'm in a complete dither on this thing and a contractor is showing up in 5 minutes about the project I'm sposed to be working on. Sucks to be him. Gotta run https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot5E...BnYXMgZW5naW5l
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote