View Single Post
Old 03-28-2024, 10:36 AM   #19
GB SISSON

Default Re: NP435 to flathead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
Good deal, I had that transmission in a 76 F250, last I knew the truck went in my friends estate auction. It was used pretty hard sometimes but never gave any trouble.
Known to be a very reliable and well built transmission. I stumbled on some reading the other day about T-19, T-18 and the NP 435. Appears all 3 are interchangeable across the board with no alterations. This opens up the possibility of these other two trans behind a flathead V8. The NP is saddled with an extremely deep low. In the 8/1 realm. Anything other than that is very rare. Also, no synchro in low. T 18 has for the most part a 6/1 low, and still no synchro in low. But T-19 most of the later ones were 4/1 low and all synchro. In my studies, I came across a thread where the use of this 'close ratio' T-19 allowed the use of a higher geared rear axle ratio, thus making that low first more useable and now the 1/1 direct drive High is essentially an 'overdrive'. Once agian, not the trans for most, but in a bigger truck and someone who doesn't want to double clutch. It offers some promise. I finally got a piece of aluminum to produce a plate when I'm not busy, but the T-19 as a direct replacement can be important to someone looking into this.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote