View Single Post
Old 03-04-2024, 01:07 PM   #6
dmar836

Default Re: Rear Hub Wobble/Drum turning?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks. Well to my surprise, I found three studs that allowed .004 - .010 gap under the hub inside the drum. So the hub is not completely seated to the drum on one side. When swaging I had all studs held with 1/4" thick washers and nuts but for some reason there must have been flex. I attempted to pull them tight with the same washers and they snugged up well(a ran pretty true on the brake lathe). I had assumed the studs would have expanded between the hub and drum a bit(as in poor standard riveting) but this wasn't the case. Unfortunately, the middle stud area will not stay tight once it's nut is removed for additional swaging. I can slide at least a .0015" feeler gauge under there. There might be some hub warpage but two on the opposite side are fine and I don't remember seeing warpage when lightly draw filing the hub face. I had it in a lathe but on an old axle taper and really didn't trust the setup for machining. With the pressures used I wouldn't doubt a bit from the process now that will complicate additional pressing.
I am using a DIY jig similar to what Vince Falter shows (https://www.fordgarage.com/pages/swaging.htm) and a 32 ton air over hyd jack in a 20 ton frame. This was my first time so I'll need to get better but not sure how to get that hub to hug the drum while in the press.

Dave

Last edited by dmar836; 03-04-2024 at 01:46 PM.
dmar836 is offline   Reply With Quote