View Single Post
Old 02-25-2024, 09:33 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Clutch finger adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2speed View Post
I just got a 1931 Tudor that a guy did all the work himself. Everything seems copacetic, but he was like I "did" the shift tower and now the clutch needs adjustment. This didn't sound logical, but the clutch goes to the floor with nothing happening.

Couple things. The shift tower is extremely stiff, I removed it and looked at it and nothing seems amiss, and everything looks new. I assume this might just wear in at some point.

In reverse and second gear, the shift lever hits the dash, with second whacking the speedometer glass. Any remedy besides bending the lever? It looks like a new shift lever, very shiny. Do they bend cold? I'd rather not heat it.

Is there any way to adjust the clutch fingers in the car? While I can see and access stuff through the inspection plate, I can't see how you could ever measure the fingers without some sort of pretzel bent up jig. Am I going to have to pull the rear assembly?

On the adjustment, I've seen the 5/8" from cover plate, with destaking and restaking the nuts, and then I saw the Paul Shinn video with the pressure plate on the bench. I get the different setting/measurement, but he just back the screws against the nut with no staking. Is that a good way to lock the nuts?
Shift lever should not hit dash? can bend cold no heat. I have adjusted in the vehicle takes time but is doable. Needs to be attached in order to adjust fingers-5/8"