Thread: 31 AA rescue
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2024, 08:32 PM   #18
Joe K

Default Re: 31 AA rescue

Everyone runs down the Model A for those "poor mechanical brakes." Actually the problem is not with the brakes being mechanical - their function is EXACTLY the same as hydraulic brakes, and possibly a bit "simpler" and more reliable/safer as each brake functional path is DUPLICATED for each wheel. A hydraulic failure leaves you with NO brakes. A broken brake rod leaves you with three brakes that work (well, except for that single rod connecting the pedal to the cross shaft.)

Where Henry made a mistake on the Model A was in using pressed steel drums. When these were new they worked pretty good. But time and wear have made the mechanical brakes increasingly more subject to "fade" - caused primarily by worn thin drums which are prone to heat and expand undoing their frictional advantage. Brake drum "reinforcing bands" help somewhat to at least add "meat" and surface area to dissipate the heat, and have been widely applied. Judging standards don't even mark you down for reinforcing bands "in the interest of safety."

Ford himself saw the wear/fade issue by late in the 1931 model year and started coming out with new Model A production in cast iron drums. By the time of the Model B the change-over was completed. (and 12" drums)

The best solution for the Model A is Henry's - cast iron brake drums. Today, most restorers tend to go this route as a matter of safety.

Back when I first began in the hobby (1970s) I took it upon myself to do a change over to hydraulic brakes by incorporating the 1939 plus backing plates and drums. I quickly observed the later hydraulic brakes benefited from a steel wheel center with cast iron drum. A "kit" existed to ease the transfer. I even started expanding the backing plate holes which was a requirement of the adaptation along with "rings."

But then it came to me - the REAL advantage of those hydraulic brakes was not in the hydraulics. But rather the cast iron brake drums. The 1939 onward hydraulic brakes were self-energizing, but not self adjusting. I still had to twiddle each wheel with an adjuster to get the brakes to brake evenly.

So not being like modern brakes I dropped the hydraulic brake project and resolved to do the best I could with mechanicals. This a "devil you know" thing.

Ford in the AA truck line made the transfer to cast iron drums about the same time as in cars, i.e. late 1931-32 onward. I have spoken of a basket case AA truck I took out of the cellar of a barn in Amherst, NH. That truck had been severely rebuilt at least once in its life with straightening/sistering of the frame. It was obviously a "major take down" for the truck. During the rebuilding they apparently took advantage to incorporate cast iron brake drums, which by then had become available. They did a very nice job on that AA frame - I should have kept it.

When I sold another low mileage roller/engine/tranny Model AA frame (26K original miles) I offered the rest of the basket case Model AA parts to the new Owner. I explained the advantage of cast iron drums - and he readily transferred my parts to his trailer. The 26K AA frame was transported to Texas with plenty of basket case accompaniment.

The way to tell cast iron AA brake drums from their pressed steel counterparts is to look at the "joint" between backing plate and drum. On the cast iron drum there is a small 1/4x1/4 "square" cast into the open edge of the drum at one location. This apparently used to somehow locate or drive the drum for subsequent machining. On the pressed steel drums there is nothing. The preparation for pressed steel drums included "burnishing" but not machining, so a precise locator was not required.

I have examined my "Green Book" for the front and rear brake drums. They reference an "AA" number but then asterisk it adjacent with "No longer available." This may be the pressed steel drum. Below it almost immediately following is the same numbers(s) except "BB" Both of these are 14" drums so an assumption might be made that the BB drum is cast iron.

Anyway, I would be curious to know what you have there.

Cast iron brake drums would be a coup.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 01-15-2024 at 08:41 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote