View Single Post
Old 01-10-2024, 04:32 PM   #15
Synchro909

Default Re: Greasing the Throwout Bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumblindice View Post
I just wanted to bump this thread a bit -- is there any way to visually determine what bearing style is installed in the car without pulling the clutch?

Also -- is it possible to determine visually when the correct amount of grease has been pumped into the bearing, sealed or not?
Not as far as I know but I'm inclined to think your problem is the pilot bearing. I would check it out and while I was in there, replace it regardless. The nose of the gearbox input shaft is 17 mm diameter. Like the bearings in Model A gearboxes, it is metric which makes finding replacements easy. The pilot bearing is bearing number 6203-2RS which means it is a 6203 bearing with 2 rubber seals to keep out the dust and crap. I understand there is a hybrid bearing available which is the same as the 6203 bearing except that the ID is 5/8". I do not know if they are available with dust seals. If you can get one of those, take out the input shaft and have the nose turned down to fit the 5/8" ID of it. Problem solved!
Be aware that the metal you have to turn down is hardened. I strongly suspect that is because it was hardened only because it was in the furnace when the shaft, spline and gear were hardened, not because it has to be hard.
I put a mild steel sleeve on the input shaft and all seems well but I haven't put it back in the car yet. I figure if JB weld is good enough, a steel sleeve certainly will be.
Please let us know what you finally find and do.