View Single Post
Old 12-13-2023, 02:12 PM   #106
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Shoud I relieve my block

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hi guys I have had my hands involved in a lot of those so called raised deck blocks. From what I can tell while area for the intake surface appears to be raised the ports are not any higher than a conventual block. This visual appearance on the block between outer edges of the ports to the top edge of the decks are actually just lower than the typical flathead block casting. These blocks are called the 39 Mercury block if the bore is 3 -3/16 however I have seen the same casting with a bore of 3-1/16. Maybe at the time the thought was a little less iron would be used for the casting process thus a cost savings.
The only disadvantage I can see is the difficulty in making the top intake port the D shape other than that they are a cool looking block.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote