View Single Post
Old 12-09-2023, 09:44 PM   #68
cadillac512

Default Re: Shoud I relieve my block

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
At the other end of the spectrum I'm confident not relieving the block on a "stock" rebuild. For my use I'm looking to maximize low end torque not horsepower. With overdrive I don't need or want higher rpm capability, I want maximum torque below 3000 rpm. I use stock intakes, distributors, and camshafts. I was very impressed with the drive-ability of the motor I helped my friend build for his family's 1950 Mercury: .060 over 8BA block (we would have bored smaller but it took that to clean up), 4 inch crank, EAB cam, stock heads shaved to get .040 above the pistons (EAB heads probably would have been more torque, but we stuck with the Mercury marked heads), stock carburetor and distributor, no port work. The car owns overdrive at 80 mph with the engine spinning less than 2900 rpm.

Very close to what I'm running in the '41 Merc. 8CM cam and EAB heads, but 2G Rochester and Chev distributor. Great power low and mid range, perfect for the application.

Agree with the serious performance guys here though...it's all about air flow when things get serious. Cool stuff!

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote