View Single Post
Old 08-26-2023, 11:52 AM   #5
1948F-1Pickup

Default Re: Best wheel bearings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40ford View Post
Who is the best source for good quality rear wheel bearings for a 1940 ford?I have been checking around and understand there are cheap China junk out there with soft cages on the bearing assemblies?Am I correct on this observation?
Up until Covid I worked technical sales for NTN Bearing. They own the BCA brand and all the old BCA manufacturing facilities in the US, which they still utilize.
That said, I’d have to know the part numbers because no manufacturer these days actually makes a full product line…. They buy from others what they don’t make themselves. It’s all based upon acquisition cost vs manufactured cost.

The weakness in today’s offshore bearing manufacturing is mainly in the roller hardening process, not in cages.
And the difference in BCA-manufactured in USA vs Timken-manufactured in USA is that the Timken hardening process was ever so slightly better (and more expensive)….. but not an advantage you would ever be able to enjoy in the real world because the hardening was waaay more than necessary.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote