View Single Post
Old 07-30-2023, 09:55 AM   #19
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: 8BA tight main bearing clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I try to use the complet bearing to get the proper clearance. However I see no reason why 1/2 beraing shel wouldn't work. (.001/.0015) is not really OUT OF ROUND, is it????
G
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but forgot that I've not had any bearings designed for a crank that was .001/.002 OVERSIZE . . . as that is what you'd need. All the .002 bearings we see are for journals that are worn and where a .002 tighter diameter bearing might help. This means the bearing is taking up clearance, not giving some back (which is what he was talking about).

You can purchase racing bearings for some modern engines that are for .009 instead of .010 journal sizes - this is how we 1/2 shell some of our engines (Think BBC cranks).

Anyway, this engine block, mains and crank just need to be accurately checked out - to first of all identify what the problem is. My best guess is that the mains are not right. Could be an alignment problem, could be the caps, could be the bearings themselves, could be the crank . . . or some combination of all these things.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote