View Single Post
Old 07-19-2023, 06:09 PM   #7
tubman

Default Re: Oil Pan and Drag Link Interference 8BA in 36 Cabriolet

All Hurst motor mounts were made to work with '41-'48 Ford frames. To use them in other frames (earlier or later Ford and even Chevrolets), they supplied frame adapters that made the other frames an analog of the '41-'48 units. The frame adapters for '35-'40 were spacers that raised the engine significantly. If you are using later Ford truck pumps, your engine is sitting too low; if you are using late Mercury pumps (they fit and have similar mounting ears), it is sitting waaaay to low. Find out what you have for water pumps and I can give you some advice.

I'll see if I can find and post the Hurst mount information.

EDIT : All I could find in a hurry is this catalog page. Unfortunately, it has been truncated. However if you look in the top right hand corner, you will see the adapters needed to make a '35-'40 frame look like a '41-48. Since an 8BA with truck pumps fit the '41-'48 frame, you will need these spacers or something similar (I made mine out of 2" square tube). Whoever did that nice fabrication on that oil pan Coop shows should have done his homework first.

BTW, the large "cleanout" in your pan inducates a late truck pan. It should work fine if you can get the engine where it belongs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mounts2.jpg (62.7 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by tubman; 07-19-2023 at 06:26 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote