View Single Post
Old 07-13-2023, 09:19 AM   #7
Bill OH

Default Re: 1933 stock v8 40 compression test results & advice welcome

Another method for removal: Disconnect coil wire and vacuum line from left side and remove 5/16ths cap screw from left side - you will need to remove left distributor cap. Now go to the right side, remove distributor cap and unbolt loom from intake manifold. Remove belt from generator and pumps, then remove the two remaining 5/16s cap screw and the distributor can be removed from the right side (this is facilitated by removal of the right side spark plug wire loom. You can put a card board shield on the radiator - I never have.

Reinstalling the distributor, take a look at the slot on the end of the cam and determine its orientation and aline the distributor tang to correspond. The gasket will stay on the distributor without grease. Set the distributor on the engine and it should slide into place very easy - may have to turn the rotor, but DO NOT FORCE IT INTO PLACE. IF YOU FORCE IT YOU WILL CAUSE DAMAGE.##$%#@. Continue the job by replacing everything in reverse order.

I have had the condenser ground strap break on two different occasions - I soldered a ground wire on the end of the condenser and grounded it under a coil mounting screw. I have also connected a pig tail to the coil-condenser terminal and zip tied it to the spark plug wire loom with a ball of solder on the opposite end to facilitate connecting a dwell tach.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote