View Single Post
Old 07-03-2023, 02:36 PM   #6
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso
Default Re: Artificial Information -the new How To Authority???

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/GA View Post
Brent, I went into ChatGPT (a popular Generative AI text website) and asked a simple question:

"How do I adjust the valves on a 1929 Ford Model A engine?"

I got a horrible answer.

They have the option to regenerate the answer, which I chose.

The 2nd answer was worse than the 1st. I did it 3 more times. The answers were all useless.

The only good advice included was "It's always a good idea to consult a Model A engine manual or seek guidance from an experienced mechanic for accurate instructions tailored to your engine." The rest of it was garbage.

Every now and then I copy/paste a question I see here into ChatGPT to see what answer it comes up with. It has not been correct a single time.

Jim,

I’ve never used ChatGPT and I’m not inclined to do so in it’s initial phase. Like with a new car model, it’s best to wait until some of the bugs are worked. It might also be necessary for someone or some group with knowledge of Model A’s to give AI a head start or point it in the right direction, so to speak.

I think it would be necessary for someone to program an initial amount of information at the beginning in order for it to be useful for the Model A hobby, such as the books by respected mechanics, Judging Standards, the technical Bulletins, manuals such as the Andrews series, etc. it might also be a good idea to identify some people who it could rely on for good information.

AI learns quickly, I just hope it happens in my life time! At least it might be very useful for people who inherit our machines and stash’s of parts.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote