View Single Post
Old 07-02-2023, 08:48 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Brake adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
Correct, the dirt and grime would be attracted to the oil and cause the pins and clevises to prematurely wear.

Regards
Bill
Bill, I will play Devil's Advocate with you on this. I think this is a comment that has been passed down amongst Model-Aers for a long time only because it seems believable, -and not because it is factual.

Starting with the beginning. The button head on the clevis pin protects the one side from debris. The cotter pin when properly installed will shield about 75% of the circumference of the opposite side from debris. So we honestly have about the same 'debris seal' as what we would around a spring hanger (shackle) greased joint. Therefore exactly how much dirt & debris are we expecting this oil or grease is going to attract? For the record, the only reason we lube the spring hanger bushings is because the repetitions of the spring hanger's rotation when driving vs. the brake pin's rotation is likely in the 10,000s to 1 in comparison.

The opposite point to make is; In considering a possible (-available) 360° rotation of the clevis pin, how much rotation actually happens when the brake levers are pulled? Maybe 10°-15° at most?? So exactly how much pin & lever wear could be eliminated by the lube when there is only that amount of rotation??? I would like to hear Larry Shepherd's opinion also, but my opinion is that lubing the pins, -or not lubing them will likely find the pins will wear at around the same rate anyway.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote