View Single Post
Old 06-09-2023, 08:34 PM   #6
tubman

Default Re: Spark Plugs and Offenhauser Heads

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Older Offy heads which the poster is referring to use the shorter plug. New era Offys and Edelbrocks as well require a longer reach plug.
Ronnieroadster
It's really not that simple. I have a set of new "in the box" Offenhauser heads I purchased from Speedway Motors in the late '90's. I/2" reach plugs are too short; 3/4" are too long. As was stated in the previous posts listed, no one makes 5/8" reach plugs in 14 mm. (They are available in 12 mm).
I never used these heads because of the plug fitment problem and also that I was able to find two good used sets of Edmunds heads, which I consider superior because of the placement of the spark plugs in the transfer area.

Admittedly, I am a little fussy about spark plug fitmant (as well as piston clearance) with all of these heads, but that's just me. I want things to be the best they can be.

As I said, the bottom line is to check the plug fitment and perhaps use the proper spacer under the plug. Either that, or run a less than optimum setup (which will probably work OK in most instances) and live with it.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote