View Single Post
Old 04-01-2023, 10:35 AM   #8
rotorwrench

Default Re: Source for interior pre-cut panels or Templates

I've cut them with a pneumatic reciprocating saw and a blade appropriate for the type of material but a jig saw will work. I've used hole saws to cut for door and window cranks as applicable. I always cut on the long side of the line just a small amount. The edges can and should be sanded to smooth them some and round the edge just a tad. This will get the panel back to proper size. A lot of original clip holes are squared off but they can be cut round as long as a person studies how the clip is going to fit the panel and the door holes The round hole resists cracking better anyway. A person can use a rotary broach cutter for small holes. Like anything of this nature, a person has to take care with the tools used. Most will inflict some damage to the material if a person slips up.

Some folks in the trim trade have gone over to ABS plastic type panel material. That stuff can be cut or routed depending on the design details. It's available in all sorts of different thicknesses. It also holds staples well.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-01-2023 at 10:45 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote