View Single Post
Old 01-18-2023, 10:29 PM   #11
Flathead Fever

Default Re: Throw out bearing noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwillia View Post
After further inspection, it appears that one of the fingers is farther back than the other two. It's hard to be completely sure working through the small inspection hole. Could it be that two of the fingers engage before the 3rd and that may be what is causing the noise?
This noise is a new one for me so I don't know what two fingers engaging first would do. We know two fingers engaging first is not correct so it's good place to start. The clutch might also chatter if all three fingers are not evenly releasing the pressure plate. It still might just be a new defective bearing. Sometimes we start imaging all kind of exotic problems (me included) when the simplest most obvious answer is the correct one.

Remember the Shell answer man with the white lab coat that had an answer for every car problem. I have yet to meet a real mechanic like that guy. I've worked with some brilliant mechanics, and they all had weird problems kick their butts. No matter how long you work on this stuff you will see things.
you have never seen before. I almost hate to give advice because I know that there is a good chance, I might be wrong even with 30-years of doing this every day for a living. I don't want to cause somebody unnecessary work and money. The best thing you can do is get as many ideas from as many people as you can and see what makes the most sense to you.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote