View Single Post
Old 11-15-2022, 08:17 AM   #1645
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Dad250,

I use the Bob Drake reproduction front motor mounts. They are faithful reproductions except for the plating choice for the girdling steel band on the outer circumference on the top insulator and the washer faces of the bottom insulator and I doubt if anyone but me cares about such details. Like the originals, they're an upper and lower set and the special bolt inserts from the bottom up. Unless going into a super-early '32 or '35 or later front cross member, the dish-shaped large washer that comes in the bag is not used on your truck.
David,
I responded to other input first then came to your response.
I have the old mounts that were in the truck. Assuming they were original they had a lot of wear on the sides of the big lower washer at the frame interference. Yes the large lower washer was there. (will try to get pictures). Does that mean a early build?? Almost looks like the large washer was gound off to fit the frame??
So Now that you mention it the upper rubber setting into/ on the frame would work just fine. ( Sometimes I forget that I worked in the rubber mount industry for 40 years, and I drew lots of mount assemblies like these for engine installations)
I will think about that. Will I take it apart and remove them??? Not sure yet? Probably not. Will ponder that. Would mean doing a lot of things and raising the engine, to get the mounts out and back in.
Do you see any issues if I leave that squished lower plate in there? engine is about 1/8 inch higher than your suggested mount install.

Ford Folks,
Well yesterday was a bust for most of the day. Things just did not click, things just did not work..... you know. So at dark thirty John supervised me retorquing the head on the MW "B" engine. Only got movement on #8 position nut at 54 ft lbs. After John left I felt it was time to take the 32 on my short road trip route for the first time with the new engine. About a 6 mile round trip. All gears various speeds, small hills to work the engine a little. Pluss some starts and stops. So have the drivers seat in place, no floor boards, unhooked the clutch pedal pull back spring, to allow it to be about right to get my big clod hopper on, and off we go!

WOW!! I must say I was Very impressed that this MW engine had the power and speed to really move the ragged ol truck down the road! If the break in of the engine continues like this I am going to be very happy! Engine ran strong, pulled the small hills in high with easy and continued power.
I had just a little water over flow from the radiator, and a drop of oil from the transmision area! Such a nice improvement! Looks foward to getting some additional miles on the truck soon.

The slippery slope: Well the pedal pivot joints are worn a lot and allowing the pedal arms to move out of position. I think I am going to take that assembly out of the truck and try to make improvements. Next step would be to whittle out a new 3/4 inch plywood front floor board. include the new bumpers and foam seal around the pedals and tighten up the floor board fit.
Just a continued improvement project as the weather is hovering around 33F and the shop is about 60F.

Sorry being long winded. Just very please so far on this Monkey Ward engine rebuild!

Also helped Grandson Nic retrive a big doe he harvested last evening!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is online now   Reply With Quote