View Single Post
Old 10-31-2022, 08:52 AM   #1575
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Ford Folks,
John came over to play in the shop with me last night. We did some checking on the B engine as it came apart. As I dropped the oil pan I got a look at the rear cork seal contact area of the rear main with the pan. This looked as it should with full contact between them. That takes that leak path off the list.

Next was the passage way from the back of the rear main down to the oil pan. Took off the homemade tube and it was fine. Used a plactic zip tie tp probe the rear main and it was open and clean too. Another item off the list of potential oil leak problems.

That left the thrust as the culprit, or the end play in the crank at the rear main to crank.
We removed the rear main bearing cap. Bumped the crank fore and aft with a block of wood and 2 lb hammer.
The clearance we found was .020 inches of clearance between the thrust Babbit and the crank. I believe that this should be around .004 inch. In hind site I may not have done anything with that area anyway. As this was intended to be a quick transplant to get the truck moving. It for sure did all that and more. Just threw a lot of oil out the back!

Some pictures coming.

Water leak in the block caused the undesiriable milky oil mix! That may be the down fall of this ever being a usable block?

The numbers matching intermediate bell housing will be swapped back to the MW block.

Along with the timing cover for the 32 engine support, and the cast pulley.

John looking over the damage!

Crank bumped to the rear of engine. I believe this is where the large gap (.020 inch) would allow too much oil to exit the back of the crank to the slinger. Too much for the oil galley to drain quickly some was ejected and caused a problem. I am sure in the day this may not have been a problem, just add more oil!

So this thrust are can be fixed as the machine shop did with the MW engine. But with the crack in the block water jacket that would have to be resolved first! Its somewhere between a running engine and a boat anchor at the moment!

The engine parts needed for the Monkey Ward (MW) engine will be removed, cleaned up, and the process will begin again.

Thanks for checking in on me and the 'ragged ol truck'! Its not ready to be cranked up and haul me into town for a while!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 10-31-2022 at 09:32 AM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote