View Single Post
Old 10-16-2022, 07:12 PM   #1274
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Rural towns are Congenial.

Nyngan, population 2,000, is a rural town, about 350 miles north west of Sydney. Sheep, cattle and cropping are the farm produce on which the community lives. Nyngan has, like all country towns, no rush, no crowds and folk have time to chat. It has town pride and very obviously leadership. It has a good feel about it.

Cobar is a mining town, about 80 miles to the west of Nyngan. Silver, lead and zinc. These three minerals mostly go together. Apparently these minerals have now been found near Nyngan as well which has created both excitement with some reservation in the community. Excitement for the wealth they will generate and disappointment that the workers will be fly in / flyout and leave very little in this little town. It’s a practice in many mining communities, but I do note Cobar has many permanent miners who live in their town.

Like most all inland towns it is situated on a river; the Bogan River. It was and still is their water source. Like many other inland towns built on a river it floods after a deluge. This last happened in 1990. The town was evacuated when the water left little breathing room between the floor and the ceiling.

Like all country towns there is good community spirit and bonding, Cobar being no different. Residents from here fetched all clothing, linen and other cloth items, washed and ironed them then returned them. That has never been forgotten.

I don’t often get to Nyngan or Cobar but enjoy a stay or stopover when I do.

Picture below was sourced from the internet.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 09.53.40.jpg (20.5 KB, 9 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-18-2022 at 12:30 AM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote