View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 05:34 PM   #4
Synchro909

Default Re: Reflecting cylinder walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank55a View Post
Not sure what you are referring to "rod bearings made of white metal". I have never heard of babbitt being called "white metal" although I have heard pot metal referred to as white metal. I don't think your bearings are "pot metal", if they were I think they would have been shot only after a few miles. The bearings should be made of babbitt. Babbitt has been used for bearing material since the beginning of the auto industry. The old engines generally prior to WW2 the bearings were pored babbitt while it is my understanding that the more modern engines have inserts made of babbitt. My engine rebuilder uses aircraft babbitt, it is reported to be the best available.

As long as you keep track of the which piston comes out of which cylinder and ensure the shims stay in place you should not have a problem pulling the pistons. This also gives you a chance to check the clearance of the rod bearings and if need be to tighten up the clearances. This would also be a good time to check your main bearing clearances and tighten them up as well, if need be.
I have only ever heard the bearing metal referred to as Babbitt in the US. Everywhere else, it has been called white metal.
I firmly believe in "if it aint broke, don't fix it" so the advice to just put things back together is sound, IMO. If you really want to do something, you could give the bores a quick lick with a hone - just to break the gloss on the surface, then fit a set of new rings. This would be a good time to check the clearances in your bearings. It can all be done with the engine in the car.