View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 02:52 PM   #2
frank55a

Default Re: Reflecting cylinder walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG-ler View Post
I have concerns with the connecting rod bearings made of white metal.
Not sure what you are referring to "rod bearings made of white metal". I have never heard of babbitt being called "white metal" although I have heard pot metal referred to as white metal. I don't think your bearings are "pot metal", if they were I think they would have been shot only after a few miles. The bearings should be made of babbitt. Babbitt has been used for bearing material since the beginning of the auto industry. The old engines generally prior to WW2 the bearings were pored babbitt while it is my understanding that the more modern engines have inserts made of babbitt. My engine rebuilder uses aircraft babbitt, it is reported to be the best available.

As long as you keep track of the which piston comes out of which cylinder and ensure the shims stay in place you should not have a problem pulling the pistons. This also gives you a chance to check the clearance of the rod bearings and if need be to tighten up the clearances. This would also be a good time to check your main bearing clearances and tighten them up as well, if need be.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)