View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #33
danny1940

Default Re: how many are running chevy T-5's behind our flatheads

I'd like to share a few tips on this conversion given hot rod jim's questions. I did the swap in my 40 in 2002 or so. It's been a long time. Anyway, I used the Cornhusker kit. After everything was in, the car chattered like an SOB. Pulled it all out and found the rivets on on the disc were ever so lightly rubbing my flywheel. I had the flywheel machined for more clearance at the disc hub. This cured the problem and opened up other disc choices. Also, I learned the hard way during a road trip through Va. with my wife that if the extension arm from the clutch pivot ball to the bell housing isn't perfectly parallel, the extension arm will work it's way off the clam shell bearings on the pivot ball. I put a "z" in my extension arm to get it parallel. Now this could have been do to my set up, motor mounts, trans mounts, etc. and may not occur in most swaps. I bring this up as things to watch for when doing the swap so others don't have the same experience. Once I cleared up these two problems, my T5 conversion has been trouble free. I use a stock Mercury 10" long style pressure plate with stock throw out bearing and linkage. Could not be more pleased with the set up. Dan
danny1940 is offline   Reply With Quote