View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 12:39 PM   #26
Russ/40

Default Re: B block hole repair

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Just a bit more perspective: My rationale for what I would not do, strictly based on my own experiences.
Mig welding cools too fast, gets too hard, and has significant potential for more damage.
Silver solder, easy to do, but too difficult to control the cooling rate, raising the specter of more cracks.
Brazing, like silver solder, but with less heat, best for forgings, but again cracks risk is high in cast iron.
JB weld, slow set, I have used many times, to repair heads that have excessive pitting around water holes. Works great and with lasting results. I have never tried it in the combustion chamber, so I have no basis to evaluate.
Superior epoxies, many I have no experience with. JB high heat the putty stuff, worries me as I don't see where it gets enough penetrating into pores to get a good tooth on the material, especially when the application is very small and thin.
Cast iron stitching pins, actually not that difficult. I have practiced on scrap model A blocks, and you would be surprised the small thickness that can be pinned.

Last edited by Russ/40; 04-08-2021 at 05:46 PM.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote