Thread: Aluminum heads
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 11:19 AM   #40
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Aluminum heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
I've got a friend who ordered a set of Edelbrocks about a month ago. Still doesn't have them, and no firm shipping date.
My buddy has had a set on order since November (for a 302 CI flathead that I'm mentoring him on) - the shipping date has been moving out (multiple times) - now it is in May. Due to this, I'm going to give my friend a set of NOS Edelbrock's that I have (so his build can continue).

He will replace them when his finally arrive . . .

Truth be told, I like the ORIGINAL (vintage) Edelbrock cast chambers better than their modern ones. The chambers are quite different (the vintage ones are much better) - they picked up the valve angles correctly and keep chamber volume to a minimum. In recent years, I noticed that their cast chambers became "worn out looking" from the patterns - the distinct chamber shapes were pretty much gone (in the valve areas and spark-plug transfer slot) - then they started fly-cutting the valve areas (probably to "punt" and increase the clearances so that folks wouldn't complain about valve clearance). None of the modern changes improve performance - exactly the opposite in fact!

I just dug out an old original set of Edelbrock 59AB style heads - they shaped the lower heads like Henry did (to use the short studs), the chambers are the way they should be, the fins are more elegant, etc.. I wish I had a boat load of them! I'm going to rework/restore them for a future project - they deserve to be running again.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote