View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
blucar

Default Re: Halogen conversion kit experience

Been there done that! Several years ago when I was rebuilding my '39 Plym conv cpe I was faced with the problem of how to replace the sealed beam headlight conversion on the '39, with correct reflector lights. After reading several articles about halogen conversions for the stock set of headlights I had acquired, I bought a halogen conversion kit for my stock reflectors.
I had already converted the electrical system to 12v and installed a PLAINLESS wiring system in the car. I had to modify the stock reflectors to accommodated the halogen receptacles, which ruined the reflectors for a stock application in the future.
The halogen lights put out a lot of light, however, the halogen bulbs don't match the prism's of the stock lens so the light is not correctly directed to the road. The stock '36-39 bulbs are "pre-focused" to match the prisms in the lens.
No body told me that the halogen lights draw more current/amps, which cooks the average headlight switch. When I would loose a headlight switch about once a year I attributed the failure to inferior China parts... Wrong.
To solve the headlight problem I purchased 36-39 12v Bright Bulbs from Ron Francis. I also purchased a HD switch from Ron Francis.
I had a set of 39 reflectors nickle plated and then had them coated with glass by UVIRA Corp in Grants Pass Or.
My suggestion to you would be to use Ron Franicis 6v Bright Bulbs and his replacement sockets... If your reflectors are dull have them nickle plated then send them off to UVIRA...