View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #10
AllenV

Default Re: '55 F100 new project, new member

I'll try to get some images of the motor today. It is however, still a mucky mess and does not photograph well.

The new distributor was motivated by the condition of the old one. Excessive endplay (measured as out of spec per the '55 Ford manual) and slop in the shaft bushings combined with well worn cam lobes, a non-functioning vacuum diaphragm, and interior parts resembling a coral reef, prompted me to find a replacement. A phone conversation with the fellow that builds up the distributors at FBO convinced me (for better or worse!) that this is a good way to go.

Interesting point regarding Daves55Sedan's observation that my truck already has vac/mech advance. Yes, this is true and I had sorted that fact before replacing it. HOWEVER, the previous owner had attached the vacuum line to the ported vacuum tap on the carburetor. This seems incorrect to me. I plan to attach the vacuum line to an existing side port on the 90-degree elbow fitting which connects the PCV line to the manifold in front of the carb. But I realize that I am trudging at the bottom of a steep learning curve with this vehicle. Any experienced insight is welcome.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...o-project.html
AllenV is offline   Reply With Quote