View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #26
JCAllison

Default Re: The GREAT Introducing Ms. American 3.14159 Caper

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The one thing that killed me about the Autolite 4100 is the secondary operating diaphragms. They are very thin and not much extension past the edge of the casting flange. They would work OK for a while then the diaphragm would fail and leave me with a two barrel carb.
Hey Mr. RW,
Have never had that kind of problem. But thinking about it, are you aware of the little SCREW in the Hole in a NUB that is supposed to be turned till it hits a Lever connected to the Throttle Plates in the Secondary Bores? That little SCREW is there to keep the Secondary Throttle Plates from STICKING in the Venturi Bores. Will comment on THAT if you say you don't know about it. If you DO know about THAT, then there is something else that I have to comment about.
Quote:
I had an old 64 T-bird that the carb and all the electric & vacuum stuff gave me fits so it went on down the road without me. It took me a long time just to get the cruise-o-matic to work well again let alone trying to keep the AC working and all the electric windows. I stick with the more manual cars now days and leave the real fancy Lincolns & T-birds to the guys with deeper pockets.
Have to give you an "AMEN"!" to THAT! Ms. American too is a PURE vehicle. No Power ANYTHING except the P-Code 390 FE (I call it the 3.14). No power Steering, no power Brakes, no power Windows, no power Seats, no Automatic Transmission (although the Overdrive pretty much controls itself), and while she DOES have a Clock, it is right only twice a day, and there is no Radio, but there IS a genuine Radio Delete that covers the hole where the Radio would be if she had one. BTW, a Radio Delete is a "rare" item!
Quote:
A 63 Galaxie or Marauder fast back may show up in the driveway one day though. I think I'll look for the manual secondary Holley type carb for that one along with a T85-R11N for an overdrive or maybe a super T10 4-speed transmission.
Am not familiar with the R11N, but Ms. American has a T85 w/ Overdrive (is THAT an R11N?). Have to say that with the 4.11:1 Differential, she has an adequate amount of "scat", but drop into Third Overdrive, and it's like having a 3.33:1 Gear. At 70 MPH, the 3.14 isn't turning even 3,000 RPM! And the jolt that comes when the 3.14 kicks out of Overdrive to straight Third never ceases to amaze me.

Also, the 3.14 was rebuilt in 1989, and got a Holley 4150 with Vacuum Secondaries. It was all right, but when I accidentally found the ORIGINAL PI Carburetor (an Autolite 4100 C4AF 9510 DG), off came the Holley, and it is sitting here on the Shelf with a fritzed Secondary Float Bowl.

Am serious about the little SCREW on the 4100 Secondaries Lever. There is much to be known about it, and there are JPGs of how it is set up on Ms. American. Don't know if you know Ross over at FordMuscle, but he hinted at what has been done to Ms. American on THAT account. Pretty amazing stuff.

Also, have mentioned Rosemary's Miscarriage a couple of times hoping someone would ask about it, but no one had taken the bait. That too is a little bit interesting. Maybe Mr. Kultulz will nibble.

Anyway, hope you are having a GREAT weekend.

JC
Ms. American 3.14159,1964 Ford Galaxie 500,Model:64 4-Door Hardtop,Body:57B 4-Door Fastback,Police Interceptor,390 CID,330 HP,P-Code FE,Solid Lifters,Cast Iron Shorty Headers,Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carb,Mustangs Etc.Manual Choke,3 Speed BorgWarner T85 Overdrive Transmission,4.11:1 Differential,Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels,PerTronix Ignitor III HEI,60,000 Volt PerTronix FlameThrower HC Coil,Frantz Oil Cleaner,Chantilly Beige
JCAllison is offline   Reply With Quote