View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
Byron Warwick

Default Exhaust in coolant

I had started this thread last October, and had to put off doing anything until this spring, and here I am again.
I expect that a fine crack is in the block, going from the number 3 exhaust valve to the top centre bolt.
To refresh I have checked the gases in the radiator top tank and it is exhaust vapours.
From previous questions, I admit that I used an additive to fill the crack. However, since I am running a stock cooling system, and it is un-pressurized there is nothing to force it into the crack.
What can I do to put pressure into the system so that I can operate it and force the "Iron Tight" into the crack. How much pressure and what type of Rad cap can I use. Will my '35 standard radiator hold this pressure?
I am trying not to have to pull the engine. I also am going to pull one or more head studs (at a time), use more Aviation Permatex and re-tighten them to 55 pounds.
First one to pull is the top centre bolt. What other head bolts go into the exhaust chamber, to also try them.
If none of the above does the job I am going to pull the head and replace the gasket.
Thanks Barners, Byron.