View Single Post
Old 08-31-2018, 09:08 AM   #26
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 41 Ford front axel spring perches

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post
Torchie why are the 41 front ends different from the 40. What makes them difficult to tune for driveability ? I've had no experience with a 41 before and don't know anything about the problems associated with it. I've owned several cars with what looks to be the same set-up and never had a problem with 40, 46 48 Fords and they look the same to me. Al

I'm not sure what "tuning for drivability" necessarily means when it comes to fat-fendered Ford front ends, but '41s do have a couple of differences that some folks haven't noticed. For instance, it is generally stated that '37-'41 spindles (the ROUND backs) are all the same. Well, many passenger-side spindles on '41s have the drag link attached from the TOP instead of from the bottom, which means that the taper at the end of the arm is tapered from the opposite direction as ALL '37-'40s. You can't use one of these goofy spindles on a '37-'40 because the drag link will hit the wishbone. One other difference is the wishbone itself. It is a "one-year-only" wishbone that measures about 4" or so longer (front to rear) when measuring between the I-beam axle and the ball. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote