View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 01:46 PM   #49
SonicRaT

Default Re: 8BA Flathead overheating on highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by George/Maine View Post
When I installed a should with electric fan ,I did notice I would run hotter at high speed.
What did was cut the bottom of should off. Those flops are blocking air.
I tried ever thing when going up hill would run hotter. even with bubba chevy dist.
It never run over 210, I had mercury 8ba 2 97 c4 278 gear small tires would run about 2200 rpms. The engine 060 over always run hot even with stock trans.
Just a hot flathead. My 53 stocker my 47 run so nice a cool.
When you say it never runs over 210 -- was that before or after the shroud modification? What size fan/shroud setup did you have? I've got a 16" Spal, which takes up the vast majority of the core space -- the larger parts of the remaining shroud all have flow flaps which seem to be working, though they may still be adding a bit of restriction. I can always pull the fan and shroud off for a test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
Have you checked your coolant for hydrocarbons? Or for pressure buildup?

The reason I ask is because a crack in the block can cause hot exhaust gasses to leak into the coolant passages causing hotter temps. This kind of leak will cause problems at cruising speeds and under loads.
The coolant test was negative for exhaust, so I don't think I've got a leak into the coolant passage. I do get a bit of pressure, but I'm running a pressure cap so that's to be expected. I'm not spewing coolant out other than what goes in and out of the expansion tank.
SonicRaT is offline   Reply With Quote