View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #45
SonicRaT

Default Re: 8BA Flathead overheating on highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I'v been fowling this post,as I'm using a similar radiator in my roadster.
I've had some experience in tuning these engines, and have come up with the following advance curve that works well with most engine modes as well as stock. unfortunately it doesn't work with the Load a matic. Also today's gas makes it difficult to read the plugs, so I use an AF meter. Takes the guess work out of the equation. This way yo can see the AF under load as well as in cruise.
Also , I;ve run several engines with out a fan on the open toad with no cooling problems. The unknown here is the carburetor. I think a stock 8BA carb and distributor would solve your problem, but here's what I KNOW works

Ignition Mechanical advance 16-28 degs all in by 2000. Vac advance 6-8 degsa at hi vac.

AF 12.7/13.2 Power . 14.5/?? this can run up to 16 in a BUILT engine for economy. Working on that. In Richards engine he got up to 15.5 in cruise.

All these numbers vary abit under different atmospheric conditions

Good luck
OL' Ron
I have a wideband I could install on each bank, but the exhaust on the flathead doesn't have bungs and I've never had very good luck using them as sniffers in the rear. If worse comes to worse, I'll install a couple a bung and see how it's doing. I've also got some EGT gauges, but I'm not sure what the typical range is on a flathead, so I wouldn't really have any point of reference from the values.

I think this Edelbrock 94 and the Loadamatic are not playing well together -- my distributor seems to be more to blame at the moment though. I'm going to replace the advance springs later today and see if that brings it into spec. After I get the trans cooler installed, I'll hopefully be able to get in a longer cruise to see how it does.
SonicRaT is offline   Reply With Quote