View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #65
46ford

Default Re: Bob Drake - why overseas?

Only a fraction of the purchase of a car is profit. And US companies DON'T keep the profit here, don't kid yourselves. They have R&D centers located globally, and aggressively source globally. I've been in the industry for many years and this is NOT a new thing. One of the OEMs I used to work with was actively pursuing China sourcing 15 years ago. And as far as I know, the shareholders (many of them employees of said company) were good with the direction.

I still prefer, and always buy, my pickup trucks from Ford, GM, or Dodge but that is because they're tough vehicles and because my neighbors build them. I quit kidding myself about where the "profit goes" the first time I walked the aisles of an assembly plant and read the origin of manufacturer labels on the subassemblies. And I have been on LOTS of plants.

On the bright side, there is still a surprising amount of content in vehicles that is from plants I drive by and work in every day. The starter I just put in the minivan and the solenoid I put on the old Merc were US made. Lots of product from these molding and stamping plants even goes to VW and Mercedes in addition to Ford, Chrysler and other plants around the world. I rarely watch the news, however, so maybe my perspective from inside the industry is slanted