View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #19
46international

Default Re: Y block flywheel ring gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
An interference fit is dependent on the overall diameter of the fitting parts. It starts at around .0015" per inch at 1-inch diameter but then starts to decrease per inch the larger the diameter gets. I would say that it would need to be around the .015" figure give or take. The larger the diameter the more it expands when heated. An eighth of an inch is way too much. The flywheel, starter, and bell housing will have to work with each other.

If you heat it much hotter than 300 degrees, whatever temper in the teeth will suffer. If you heat it blue and it still won't go on then that is telling. I'd say you have the wrong flywheel for the application or you have the wrong starter ring.
This flywheel was on this motor when I got it but removed it when I installed the ford-o-matic, Now that I'm going back to a manual the flywheel will go back on, and it could use a new gear. I have a "car" bell housing and now I'm wondering if the flywheel is some different thing like a BIG truck or indrustral use part. So the word is that the .125" is too much?
46international is offline   Reply With Quote