View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 03:20 PM   #12
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Changing just the rubber donuts/bolts to 47 trans mount

The picture: Biscuits til '41. They support weight of engine and resist roll, but not the fore-aft forces, which are handled via steady rods. '42-8 as noted uses a saddle one piece mount designed to resist the fore-aft drive forces without rods. Problems arise when the rubber within the thing pulls loose from the steel attachment parts, which I believe are made in India now.
Ford Canada supported many '42's in the African desert during WWII and experienced those failures in the desert war...they releases a kit containing '41 rods and hardware, detailed in the Canadian service bulletins.
Look over your new mount...you may be able to apply a traditional SBC Chevy cure for failing motor mounts. After replacing too many ripped apart bonded left mounts on race cars, they ran a bolt through both metal plates and the rubber...at one end the threaded part was trimmed back to the threaded hole in one plate for clearance, at the other end head of bolt could be ground for extra clearance. Bolt both compressed the rubber and prevent apart type moves by the plates. This may be possible here...it has been a long time since I've had to look at my mount, thank heavens, so i do not remember if there's room.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote