View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 07:46 AM   #26
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: inspection nightmare

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
So I have always railed against the 'vapor lock' on the A.

As such I have enjoyed some people relating stories as to why they do not believe either in PM's.

So on person related to how they had the typical engine 'vapor lock' problem for a few years. He tried all the fixes and none worked really.

Then he had to take the engine apart for other reasons and he noticed the valve gaps were done wrong and uneven. So he redid the valve properly. When he put the engine together no more vapor lock.

To approach this logically you have to think well only some cars ever have a problem. So on a tour a couple of cars are having a problem and they are all in the same conditions with the same gas. Right there tells me it is a build problem.

What goes wrong, well that is the problem. What is more likely wrong is a bunch of little things. Timing off a tad, valves slightly off, maybe the water jacket is not cleaned out as well as it should be and they all add up- sometimes- to cause a problem.

How many people are aware the valves need to have the gap set for how the metal expands. You can not just go by what the service bulletins say. You have to know the expansion rate of the metal.

Doing the A engine right is not simple. People do not realize the A engine is a high precision built device. They poo poo that thought and think it is just an old engine why bother with accuracy. You really have to think your are building a race car engine as you approach the constuction of the engine.

The A engine runs great if it is done right. You should not have to do any modern fixes to get it to be extremely reliable (well the burn out proof condenser is essential, no not the V8 one).
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote