Thread: Efi engine
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016, 07:38 AM   #12
chuck stevens

Default Re: Efi engine

About a year ago I swapped a 302 tpi with an AOD trans into a 66 f-100. It had all the electronics from the 88 Grand Marquis and I kept
the trans with the engine, I'm not going to say it was a piece of cake, but I sorted out the problems one by one. I totally love the truck now 22mpg , starts and runs like a clock, it is best to have some Ford friends close by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucemac View Post
It is not that hard IF you have the complete engine and all the computer harness and computer plus all sensors. Depending on whether you are using a 5.0 or a 4.6 will determine how much trouble with fitment issues. The 5.0 is smaller and affords easier installation. The 4.6 is huge in anyone's book and will be much more of a challenge. If you are not an experienced fabricator,
I would think twice before taking on the 4.6. If you have ALL of the harness for either engine makes things much easier. The fuel injection and ignition system is a stand alone system requiring only 3 wires to function, constant 12V, switched 12V, and a dedicated ground separate from all other grounds. You can get an "electrical vacuum troubleshooting manual" on Ebay for your particular engine/donor vehicle and it will be of great assistance to you. If you have a 5.0 you can get away with using an email from a standard Trans vehicle if you want to use an older AOD. If using a 4.6, I would recommend using the engine and transmission together from the donor vehicle. If you have done engine swaps before, it is just a new chapter. If this is your first time, look for an experienced person to coach you along. The bottom line is, it is not that scary and will yield great results if you take your time. God luck!
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote