View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 09:44 PM   #1
1955cj5

Default Odd Electrical Problem...

Had the Model A parked around side of the house. When I went to move it into the garage about halfway there it coughed, sputtered and quit....wouldn't start..had to push it into the driveway..

Sounds like a fuel issue....

Fuel valve is on, fuel in tank, vented cap but removed it anyway..plenty of flow at the carb...

Float must be stuck..

Take carb off, remove cover, bowl full of fuel, float is fine..I blow out the passages as long as I'm there..

Replace carb..

Still won't start...

Thinking electrical now..

There is power at the points but it varies from 6 to 4 to 1.5 volts..hmmm...

Changed the condenser..no change

Checked timing..it was fine. I had to pull the distributor to remove the condenser because the brass tip of the condenser turned with the screw...also checked the wire under the lower plate...all OK

Power at the starter, fuse block, and passenger side of the junction box, but only about 1.5 volts at the other junction box stud...

Wiggle things a bit and check again...6v everywhere...tried the lights and horn but they won't work....weird..

Checked the voltage again and it's back down to 1.5 on the drivers side j-box post...

Ammeter?

Pulled the instrument panel and checked continuity on everything with a voltmeter, including the ignition switch and all checks fine...

Except...

There is little or no power on the output side of the ammeter, the side that goes to the drivers post on the j-box..

Tighten the nut...then everything was fine...it started and smoked because it was flooded by now but ran great after it cleared.....

This afternoon, repeat performance...won't even start this time..

But I knew where to look..

Took out the ammeter, and one stud was loose in the case...I didn't notice it before...

I tightened it up, re-installed the wires etc, and went for a 10 mile drive!

Last edited by 1955cj5; 05-18-2016 at 10:09 PM.
1955cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote