Thread: 8BA Starter
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 10:06 PM   #17
CSArno

Default Re: 8BA Starter

Ralph,

i just went through on my 8BA what you are going through. i hoped for the best and expected the worst. My engine was stuck petty good. after soakings with MMO and rocking it back and forth and bumping the starter, it finally broke loose. then i had a bunch of valves stuck. was able to free the valves without taking the heads off and actually had it running pretty good but it had very low compression on a couple of cylinders. zero on #3. My engine is now being rebuilt. had a bunch of broken rings and a hole down the side of #3 piston.
if you want to take some time, be patient and keep soaking it with oil and rocking it. a pipe wrench will just booger up your crank pulley.. if you get it to spin over, do a compression check to see which cylinders have stuck valves or other issues. you can see one of the valves really good through the spark plug hole. check to make sure all those are closing. if they arent, use a hard wood dowel and tap on them gently to see if they will close. just have to make sure the valve is supposed to be closed when tapping on it (ie: compression stroke) if you get them all to close and still have no compression, put a tablespoon or so of motor oil in the cylinder and recheck compression. also known as the "wet test" if the compression comes up a little, you probably have stuck/broken rings or a hole down the side of a piston. if it doesnt come up all, then you still have a valve problem or a big hole in a piston.
you can just see the edge of the other valve through the plug hole with a flashlight to see if it is closing. i had a few of these stuck open and was able to stick the short end of an allen wrench it the plug hole, turn it so its on top of the stuck valve and tap on the long end to get the valve to close.
Rodents can get in that vent pipe on the front of the intake pretty easy and fill it full of anything you can imagine. It would be good to at least pull the intake manifold to check. pulling the heads can be alot of work if you have some stubborn bolts. an air impact wrench with the pressure turned down so it just rattles works pretty good. work the bolt in and out once it starts to turn and it should come. if you have some that just wont start, one trick is to drain the coolant, plug the holes on the water pumps and fill the entire engine water jacket with some kind of penetrating oil, diesel fuel, etc. the reason for this is all but 3 head bolts on each side goes through the block and in to the water jacket thus soaking the threads of the headbolt from the inside to help free it.

hope some of this helps on where you go from here.
good luck,
Chris
CSArno is offline   Reply With Quote