View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #13
bobH

Default Re: Other exhaust choices besides Red's? - dual exhaust for my '47?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawockvet View Post
As headers have little effect on a stock flathead I thought a driver side 51-53 manifold would work on my 47, but alas the dipstick indentation is in the wrong place and I wasn't for shimming it out to clear. After going to three other shops who couldn't handle the relatively simple process of putting duals on a post war Ford, I remembered Scotty's Muffler, a shop of my youth in San Bernardino California. I was told over the phone it was no problem. I showed up when they opened and they did a beautiful job using the stock manifolds and my Brockman glass pacs. May not do a darn thing for performance but the sound is awesome. These guys know what they are doing and fab all kinds of headers. It was a bit of a drive but the great old time service and talent made it well worth the trip. This probably only helps those on the west coast, but I wouldn't be surprised if they would build and ship around the country.
Small world... Scotty's is the 'only' shop around the SB area, as far as I'm concerned. They did my 47, couple years ago. I'd sure like to know from you, or anyone else with a 46-48, did you come up with a clever & neat routing for the left head-pipe, around the pedal area?
Mine is neatly routed around the steering gear, then down, below the frame, and out, Above the wishbone, then back to get around the troublesome area. Problem is, there isn't really room to get the pipe (1-3/4) between the wishbone and the frame. So, when driving a good bump, the wishbone squashes the pipe against the frame. This happens on the first bump. After that, it's all good, everything clears.
Anybody have a better way?
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote