The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is this head a Model Performance head??? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331045)

37fatfender 09-18-2023 03:02 PM

Is this head a Model Performance head???

5 Attachment(s)
Saw this head at a swap meet. Never saw a head with only one valve.

Keith True 09-18-2023 03:13 PM

Re: Is this head a Model Performance head???

Looks like a head for an F-head engine.One valve in the head,the other in the block.Most popular one I've seen was in the old Jeeps.What makes you think it is for an A?

37fatfender 09-18-2023 03:45 PM

I’ve seen a couple overhead conversion on Model A’s. I really had no idea what this head was for.

Bob C 09-18-2023 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a Jeep head.

johnneilson 09-18-2023 05:11 PM

It would not appear to have proper bore spacing for a Model A/B

37fatfender 09-18-2023 07:36 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate your feedback. I learned something.

nkaminar 09-18-2023 08:40 PM

Stock Model A's have an L head configuration, where both valves are in the block. An F head configuration is where one valve is in the block, usually an exhaust valve, and one valve is in the head, as is the head you found. A T head configuration is where one valve is on one side of the block and the other valve is on the other side. This was typical in the very early cars, before the Model T, with some cars keeping this configuration through the 1920's. Overhead valves can be pushrod activated or have a single camshaft in the head or dual camshafts in the head. The dual cam heads have hemispherical combustion chambers with the valves at a V angle. Early race engines had the hemi heads with dual camshafts. Heads with pushrod activated valves can also have the hemi configuration.

Keith True 09-18-2023 09:09 PM

And the engines with both valves in the head were designated I head engines.You really don't hear those designations much anymore.I should've recognized that head as a Jeep right off,I had enough of them apart in the 70's.They weren't problematic,but they were used as plow rigs and would get used all winter and parked all summer.The pans,valve covers,and timing covers would rot and leak.I served a lot of time sitting behind one of those engines plowing driveways in a trailer park.I can't quite remember what that engine was called.IH's little motor was a Comanche,the Jeep six was a Hurricane,but the name of that little F head 4 escapes me.

Benson 09-19-2023 09:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Looks like a Jeep Willys CJ 2 or 3 ??

Photo one looks like Photo in post 1

David in San Antonio 09-21-2023 02:03 PM

The F head (overhead intake, with exhaust valve in the block) gave the engineers the theoretical opportunity to make the intake valve almost the same size as the cylinder bore. I don’t know of any production engine to have done so.