The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dang, Grease on the Headliner (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326817)

BillCNC 05-21-2023 05:37 PM

Dang, Grease on the Headliner

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all,

I need some help here. I was looking at a friends car to see what was wrong with it and somehow, I ended up with old, dirty and black grease on the top of my hat which got transfered to the headliner when I got in the car. I haven't touched it yet untill I hear thr opinion of the forum.

How do I get it off???? :(:(:(

Reguards
Bill

Big hammer 05-21-2023 06:43 PM

Re: Dang, Grease on the Headliner

Mister Clean magic eraser is what my mrs said to use, try it on your hat first I say

Merc Cruzer 05-21-2023 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This worked for me, but be sure to follow the instruction on the can.

BillCNC 05-21-2023 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big hammer (Post 2227617)
Mister Clean magic eraser is what my mrs said to use, try it on your hat first I say

Thanks Hammer,

That was my first thought. As far as the hat, ... it's dark navy blue which wouldn't show leftover residue if any very well.

Regards
Bill

BillCNC 05-21-2023 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer (Post 2227623)
This worked for me, but be sure to follow the instruction on the can.

Interesting, I've never see that one before. I'll add it to thr list of possibilities.

Regards
Bill

BillCNC 05-21-2023 07:11 PM

The lady who lives behind me told me to try Folex. What do you guys think?

Regards
Bill

Y-Blockhead 05-21-2023 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillCNC (Post 2227630)
The lady who lives behind me told me to try Folex. What do you guys think?

Regards
Bill

I use Folex on the carpet but not sure how it would work on the headliner. I had to work it in the remove the grease.

Reds34 05-21-2023 08:17 PM

I've used Folex on carpet before and it worked well. You can try Goop, that's supposed to work well. It works well on my hands.

Red

SDJason 05-21-2023 10:11 PM

Folex works wonders, but from looking at that smear, I think I'd try the Folex after removing more of the stain first...if it were me, I'd try Dawn with very hot water and scrub a bit an old toothbrush...followed by a paper towel to soak up the gunk, and probably repeat a few times. Once most of it is gone, then I'd finish up with Folex on whatever is left (same method - soak, scrub, paper towel)

Model "A" Fords 05-22-2023 07:20 AM

Ask the Dry cleaners for their recommendation. I'm sure they have seen this kind of thing before and may be able to clean it for you. Good you are asking before acting as some things may make it worse. Let us see a picture of the outcome. Good luck.

BillCNC 05-22-2023 07:51 AM

Thanks Guys,

The only thing I did so far since posting, is I took a few toothpicks and picked off anything solid. Now it's just the smeared part thats left.

Regards
Bill

nkaminar 05-22-2023 09:07 AM

I have use acetone. Test an inconspicuous place first. The acetone should not hurt the dye used in the material, but you never know for sure.

Flathead 05-22-2023 10:40 AM

Brake clean.

Gene F 05-22-2023 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Model "A" Fords (Post 2227717)
Ask the Dry cleaners for their recommendation. I'm sure they have seen this kind of thing before and may be able to clean it for you. Good you are asking before acting as some things may make it worse. Let us see a picture of the outcome. Good luck.

Dry cleaners actually use a little stem thingy to get stains out of a lot of fabrics.

BillCNC 05-22-2023 05:08 PM

Thanks guys

I think I'll remove the small interior panel above the rear window in my Tudor to see if there is any headliner under there that isnt visable in order to test some of your remedies.

Regards Bill

ronn 05-22-2023 06:25 PM

dye your friends headliner black............

I am not so sure that the grease will totally be removed.

Brentwood Bob 05-22-2023 06:36 PM

Ronson lighter fluid might work. I have removed roofing tar with it on rugs.

Oldgearz 05-22-2023 06:56 PM

That's the kind of thing I would do to ruin my day!! Please let us know what you use and post a results picture. I've used "Shout" triple action spray (laundry)....let it sit for half an hour after soaking, then use more with water to clean it up. Shout is less likely to stain the fabric than some of the harsh chemicals might do. Just try to soak the stain out by spraying and dripping into a bucket.,,,wipe very lightly. Good luck.

Gene F 05-22-2023 07:02 PM

Maybe cover the seat too. Would be a bummer to remove from one area, just to pollute another.

Harpkatt 05-22-2023 09:07 PM

Brake clean works wonders but may damage the fabric, I'd start with something similar to Simple Green or Purple Power however, since It's a light color fabric I'd try to find a generic degreaser that's clear with no dyes and water based, put it in a spray bottle and get the fabric medium wet, hit it with a shop vac,gently so you don't stretch the fabric. Your looking to flood the oil/grease out not mechanically remove it like scrubbing. Keep repeating the process. I've use oven cleaner to degrease as well, but with extreme caution. The goal is to preserve so start gentle and stay gentle. Dish soap, laundry detergent and less caustic things are a good start. I'm sure brake clean would do it, but at what cost. I also like using an air compressor when I can get behind a stain,blast as much out of the fabric as I can.